Problem Solving & Decision Making
Our most comprehensive program is a two or three day workshop that blends team development with rational and creative thinking processes to create a comprehensive approach to problem solving, decision making and planning.
The Action Management Wheel illustrates the conceptual framework of the Problem Solving & Decision Making (PSDM) workshop and progresses logically from developing a quality solution to executing a quality implementation.
Available in English, Spanish, Japanese and Portuguese, PSDM provides the information process and people skills individuals need to separate and resolve issues, create and act on new opportunities, utilize excellent judgment in decision making and follow decisions with successful implementations. This dynamic workshop achieves an integrated approach in one hard-hitting, results oriented program. PSDM prepares people to engage problems and opportunities rapidly and with the right tool or technique.
How quickly can you expect to see a return on your investment in this program?
- Participants will begin working on and resolving their pressing work challenges by using the PSDM processes on those problems during the workshop.
- Using and working with the PSDM tools and techniques in class increases acceptance and a willingness to experiment with the processes in actual work settings.
- The workshop often pays for itself before it is complete through the solutions developed by participants during the workshop.
This two or three-day program is designed for anyone who is responsible for
- Resolving issues quickly and accurately.
- Developing innovative solutions to problems.
- Utilizing excellent judgment in decision making.
- Following through with successful implementation of solutions.
The adaptability of this program makes it applicable for a wide range of organizational levels from senior managers wanting to enhance their critical thinking skills to front-line staff who have had little experience with problem solving training. Organizations wanting to create a positive culture where complex problems are solved and difficult decisions are made will find this program provides a relevant, readily useable solution.
Problem Solving & Decision Making is an interactive, outcome-focused workshop that blends team development with rational and creative critical thinking processes to create a comprehensive approach to problem solving, decision making, and planning. Over sixty percent of this program involves participants in learner-driven activities and on-the-job application. The course offers a dynamic blend of instructor presentation, on-the-job application, and skill practice in each of the PSDM processes using work-related concerns brought by participants. Principles of teamwork and effective meeting management are practiced by participants throughout the workshop.
After completing this workshop, participants will have the skills and knowledge to:
- Identify the need for and successfully execute Cause Analysis (three types), Creative Problem Solving, Decision Making, and the Anticipating Problems and Planning processes.
- Demonstrate critically important Group Effectiveness and Teamwork skills.
- Increase creativity in problem solving by pushing through mental roadblocks and broadening existing thinking to create innovative ideas and solutions.
- Separate complex problems into prioritized, manageable concerns using the Situation Analysis process questions.
- Resolve fully, or partially one or more work-related concerns.
- Create an Action Plan to further develop Problem Solving & Decision Making skills in the context of work-related issues.
Included with this workshop are a comprehensive participant manual designed for easy reference including matrices, worksheets, checklists, and process flows; a Pocket Guide summarizing each process, Action Tools for the PC including electronic versions of all PSDM processes; Wall Charts for teams; email and toll-free telephone support; and a Success Story Award.
Application of Learning
AMAI’s Sustain the Impact process involves participants before the workshop in identification of specific issues, and through correspondence with the manager and participant, selecting work-related concerns to address in the workshop. During the workshop participants have the opportunity to use cause analysis, creative problem solving, decision-making, and anticipating problem methodologies on concerns/issues from their individual work environments.
Individuals also participate in teams similar to real-life situations, see demonstrations and discussions of numerous short-cuts, commit to apply at least two informal uses of the concepts within two weeks, and plan on the job use of the PSDM process. Throughout this workshop a constant focus is placed on showing how the PSDM concepts apply to the participant’s individual jobs.
Following the workshop, participants and managers are encouraged to meet to strategize on-going use of the concepts. Follow-up correspondence is sent to each participant and his/her manager to promote continued interaction about the new concepts and to help participants identify specific opportunities where the PSDM processes can be used. Attendees are also encouraged to participate in AMAI’s Success Story program where participants receive a framed certificate for making a bottom-line impact through use of the PSDM concepts.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Critical Thinking for Business Growth
- Applied Critical Thinking
- Rapid Troubleshooter
- Critical Thinking for Administrative Professionals
Top 6 Things that Make THIS PROGRAM UNIQUE
Here are a few things that your key internal stakeholders will love about this training.